How to cash in on the ignorance of unfortunate newbie bloggers

I was looking through PRWeb just now and came across this press release that says in part:

Easy Blog Ping is a fully automated pinging service that accurately submits blogs to over thirty of the most popular blog search engines. Few pinging services on the market offer a reliable submission solution that actually saves bloggers time. Easy Blog Ping fills the void in this rapidly growing market ensuring bloggers have access to a dependable and cost effective tool to help them increase traffic without the hassles.

I couldn’t believe what I was reading! How much gall do these people have?!

Pinging is one of the most basic features of each and every blogging platform out there. In short, if the platform you’re blogging on doesn’t do pings, it’s basically not a blogging platform! I don’t think I’m exaggerating.

And the point is it’s free! It doesn’t cost you anything to ping Pingomatic, which will in turn ping a list of blog directories as long as your arm (or long enough, anyway!):

And Pingomatic is free… and if you’re scare it might disappear as a service tomorrow, you can ping all these directories and services individually, plus many more… for free, of course.

Now I’m doubly unimpressed because ineedhits are a Perth (Aussie!) company that I have previously had a lot of respect for… but this is bottom-of-the-barrel scraping stuff, and feeding off the ignorance of only the most inexperienced bloggers. At least they could have admitted the truth: that their service is only useful to (I don’t know what) people who are on such an antequated blogging platform (does such exist?) that pinging is not available. Again – I think that’s an oxymoron, frankly, and can’t imagine it.

So save your $4.95 per month, get WordPress, Blogger, Typepad or some other FREE blogging platform and enjoy FREE pings!

Nuff said.

blogging, pinging, pings, weblogs, wordpress, blogger, typepad, australia

heh.

Pinging has been around since before WordPress 1.0 (we’re talking pre Jan ’04) – http://wordpress.org/development/2004/01/wordpress-10/

But that’s not pinging blog SE’s.

Good luck to them – if they can sell it, more power to them . But to be honest I don’t see bloggers paying for it.

Do you Al?

Brent, only bloggers who are so new they don’t realise it’s something they can do just as well for free. And that’s the point of my “anger”.

Or just use the free pingoat.com, which pings even non-english servers.

Alister,

Your comments and those of your readers are great feedback as we’ve only just launched the service. After talking to several bloggers, we found they didn’t have the time to actively do it themselves and thought the time savings were worth a service fee.

I’d love to know whether it’s the cost of the service that’s the issue, or whether it’s the principle behind the product. Some background on why we launched the product is available on our blog (see link below). All advice welcome on how to make this more appealing to bloggers.

“After talking to several bloggers, we found they didn’t have the time to actively do it themselves and thought the time savings were worth a service fee.”

Why don’t you just show them to use a free service?

Once you’ve added a simple URL to your ping list it’s not something that takes any time whatsoever does it?

Is this like one of those movies where two people have this long conversation and you as the viewer know that they both have completely different ideas in mind of what the topic of conversation is?

I feel like we’re talking about one thing and Rene/ineedhits are thinking it’s something completely different.

I’ve emailed Rene privately to try and point him/her (it’s a French name for a bloke but over here usually female so I’m unsure, sorry) in the right direction of a product I think they could develop that would have substance, but not this.

We’ll see where that goes…

Alister,
    Just writing to inform you that we have opened up Easy Blog Ping for an unlimited free trial – all bloggers welcome!
    Our reasoning behind this is to get valuable feedback from the wider community regarding the quality of our pinging service. Please feel free to use the product yourself – or share it with your readers. Feedback is appreciated – although not required! Should you have any comments/feedback please mail lara.appelhans[at]ineedhits.com.
    Cheers

This doesn’t surprise me. I have seen countless times where a new blogger, in a desperate bid to rocket their blog skyward, signs up for a class that teaches them information readily available on the internet.

1. Alister Cameron / Alister Cameron : How to cash in on the ignorance of unfortunate newbie bloggers

2. MySpace.com | rss | sign in | sign out

3. from farmers-to ensure the beans meet the strict requirements of specialty grade. In italy it is consumed almost exclusively early in the day for breakfast; at low prices online with fast delivery! http://www.coffee.co.za/ Cached – Similar pages Tuesday 12 september, 2006 2016688 requests since thursday 03 july, 2003 19c home shop all abou 9f8 t Coffee travelogues Coffee community history drip brewing does not require these expensive mills.

4. […] Trackbacks/Comments Received How to cash in on the ignorance of unfortunate newbie bloggers » Alister Cameron, Blog Consul… from http://www.alistercameron.com on Feb 26, 2007   I was looking through PRWeb […]

5. […] services on the market offer a reliable submission solution that actually saves bloggers […] Read more… Source: Alister Cameron, Blog Consultant I build the blogs that make the subject-matter experts […]