How to get on Google’s front page within a few hours. No joke!

About three hours ago, I posted my Case Study on RemodelingMySpace.com. Then, looking at my stats just now I noticed someone coming to my site from a Google India search on the phrase “case study”. And I figured it had to be a glitch in the matrix, because Google a) doesn’t index that fast, as a rule, and b) my site doesn’t have the kind of PageRank in Google to be on page one of search results for that kind of phrase, anyway.

So what gives? Well, I did a search on that phrase in Google and lookie here…

google blog posts How to get on Googles front page within a few hours. No joke!

This is a section of the bottom of the page for a Google search on the phrase “case study”. That’s MY post from three hours ago, immediately under the section heading of “Blog posts about case study”!

Now I’m not breaking news here, I have discovered. It seems this idea that Google has about sticking the first three blog search results at the bottom of a “normal” search is something they’ve been experimenting with since at least November of last year.

But have a think about that for a moment. Sure, the link to your post is not at the top of the first page, but it’s on the first page!

Hey, I’m an SEO guy, among other things. I know how hard it can be to get onto the front page of Google for a given keyword or phrase. And now, Google have given bloggers a (albeit short) window of time to be on the front page!

Very cool. But a few “excitement dampeners” to bear in mind:

1. Your post is only there until three more recent blog posts are indexed, which can happen quickly.
  2. The keywords have to be in the title of your post. That a little limiting.
  3. Google don’t always show these blog posts. Indeed, I repeated the same search just now and… no blog posts listed icon sad How to get on Googles front page within a few hours. No joke!

So all in all, I’m not sure what to make of this. If it was a permanent feature, I’d say it could have some real value as a strategy to get some quick exposure and traffic for hard-to-SEO keywords, via blog posts. But the feature seems to come and go… at least for now.

Have you seen this before? What do you make of it?

google, seo, blogging, blog post, blogsearch, google blogsearch, google serps, serps, pagerank, search rankings

Just guessing that Google somehow indexes sites that it categorises as blogs more like news sites, i.e. very regularly. I haven’t seen the results on the front page before, but do notice that posts get picked up quickly by Google Alerts (within 24 hours), and other bloggers report the same if not faster: http://www.alexdesigns.com/blog/2006/11/wow-google-alerts-spiders-are-quick.cfm

Good fine, Alister!

And for your question “Have you seen this before? What do you make of it?”:

Since I just read your article, I’ll have to check when I post new posts on my blog. I’ll post a comment if I’m able to see my post on Page 1.

– Avi

Ooops! That should be “Good find”.

Sorry for the typo!

Interesting! I had no idea about this at all. However, I was getting the impression that Google were indexing somethings faster than I would have expected.

I’ve never noticed this when I am doing searches on google, but congrats on getting on the front page, if even for a short time!

Very cool! (Even if it is for a short period of time. It could still generate some great traffic.

I’m going to test this myself with a few keywords soon. It will be interesting to see the results.

Thanks!

That’s pretty cool. I never noticed it until now…doesn’t seem to come up every time (or even often in my case..)

Two words: zen digg

The difference, however, is that I can target the content whereas the effect seen here is title SEO stuffing (otherwise known as black hat link baiting) alone.

Hi,

I recently came across a similar phenomenon on one of the social bookmarking sites. Only the real cool thing here is that if someone votes for your bookmark or visits it, the Google position gets a boost. So I cycled between having about 10 first page results on Google, and a few first place results across different key phrases, and being completely invisible in Google. Nice thing about this is that you’re not just completely losing relevance over time.

This sort of thing is really open to abuse for anyone who needs to boost their traffic at a certain time in the day – so I’m not going to mention the bookmarking site, for the timebeing.

I do find though that you can get high first page results with onsite optimisation – you only really need a lot of backlinks when you are playing with the big boys. This said, without the backlinks its so easy to get knocked off top position by some one who knows what they are doing – so backlinks camaigns are still crucial for commercial purposes.

You’re a “SEO guy” and you don’t know that the keywords should be in the title of your post???

Malcolm, of course I do… but what has that got to do with this post?

You can’t balme me for trying to get a quick plug on your 15 minutes of fame… lol whether or not you keep it here is a different story. I just started creating a website focused on home improvements which is http://www.requestapro.com

Impressive stuff Alister.

Hi Alistair

Really impressed with you getting on so quickly. We managed to get a client setup with a new site and listed on Google (and on 1st page) within 24 hours – am convinced a great deal of this was down to the blog entry.

…and apologies for spelling Alister incorrectly!

Has anyone tried Clipmarks. It clocked up a Google ranking for me in just 47 minutes on one ocassion. I’m still not sure how a feel about it from a duplicate content point of view though, despite the fact it uses cite and blockquote.

Yes, I noticed the same thing on my blog at http://www.whoila.com/blog

I would post something and within an hour, it’s on Google Search results… don’t understand it myself. But sometimes results disappear after a few days though. So not sure what to make of it.

Hi, noticed this a while ago , though as you say dont always show . Will get you a few visitors I guess.

Thank you for this great post. On my blog I commented about the downside of this recent change: keywords may show as "active", when they are really "inactive". This complicates bidding optimization, and makes it very difficult to accurately judge when it is ok to delete keywords with no impressions.

Blogs do seem to get the quick attention of Google and others because of the pingback mechanisms. I think it is interesting that Google sometimes feature recent blog posts, but not earth-shattering …. we all still need to optimise our content and campaigns to be persistently high in the main search results to be successful, and not rely upon random exposure to succeed.

Hi Alister

Is there a particular plugin needed to a wordpress blog that would allow this to happen – the instant front page of google ‘trick’?

Thanks. Getting confused over all of these plug ins. Also i just downloaded carl ocabs templates – and was wondering your thoughts on those for maximum seo for a blog.

I appreciate it!

Tony

22. Rafael Carnicer

Wow, that’s pretty neat, I had read google’s biography, and they hadn’t mentioned it. Maybe that’s because this is a more recent development. Anyways, thanks for the tip, I could use it for a friend’s website.

Thanks Again,

Rafael Carnicer

You are super i will follow this let get back to you

Is there any other way i can make my page come up on the first page of search.

That is interesting. I had noticed a while back that the easiest way to get google to visit a page was to put a rss feed on it and to ping them. Sometimes they spider it within a minute from just that. Also, even several years back, you could build a few mobile pages in a new site and use an online simulator viewer for them, and google was almost instantaneous finding the site. Google likes blogs. I suspect they also like the social and bookmarking sites, but I have never been a user of these sites myself and these are awkward for me to get used to doing.

26. Montana

There’s a tool called Synnd that gets you free social bookmarks coming from usernames owned by other people, meaning as long as you (and/or your computer) are bookmarking other Synnd members’ content, you can have Synnd members give you as many bookmarks as you’d like.

Let me know if you have idea about SEO. How do we know the exact competition that we do have with our competitor. How do new website come one first page if it has competition with one who do have page rank 6-8 and website linking on other website is in between 400-500.

Great tip – thanks for sharing.

A few of the commentators have forgotten, I think, that Google “customizes” your search results. So if you spend a lot of time looking at your own sites (I know I do), Google will rank them higher. So it is easy to be fooled if you don’t know Google does this. You can turn this off.

Interesting… I don’t think I’ve seen google do this before… However, I’ve only just started doing SEO stuff. Interesting to see if they’re still doing something like that!!

Its a great information, never tried it. Thank You

So when there’s a 3 new posts that is related to your post then it will be replaced in first page? how about when there is no related post will your post stay there?

I have not noticed that before, have they stopped. Did you tell google that you had uploaded a new post or did they find via there spider?
    If you tell google that you have uploaded a new post it could be a very good way of playing with the engine.

It happened to me once when I first started this website & the keyword was rich dad. However my victory on that page was short lived & I was back at the bottom of the page in a matter of hours after I was there in the front page initially.. It sucks.. but I’ll have to put some more strategy into making this work better for me..

Gave me a few ideas.

Thanks,

Your tip is very valuable for beginners like me because having a post on the front page of Google results for a particular keyword, even if it’s for a few hours, is still worth it. Any little push that new blogs can get to showcase a post is worth doing in my opinion.

Everything depends on the kind of phrase you want to place at the top position in google ranking.

Best Regards

hi

I am working on this website from last six months and able to bring it to first result but suddenly it drops back to the 2nd page. can any one help me to get it back to first page?

Thanks

Great post!I learn something more challenging on different blogs everyday. It will always be stimulating to read content from other writers and practice a little something from their store. I’d prefer to use some with the content on my blog whether you don’t mind. Naturally I’ll give you a link on your web blog. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for a great article. Been researching methods of getting a higher page ranking and this has really helped.

Useful content, thanks for sharing it with us !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks!I’m trying it just now :P
    Thanks again for the great idea!

Alister, putting up a blog (mechanically speaking) is easy.
    Saying something worth reading and thinking about is the real task.
    I encourage my friends to upgrade from a blog to writing an ebook, then put that on Amazon.
    Learning how to write non-fiction is the KEY SKILL.
    Tip: put “journalism+nzibs” into Google and pick up free tips there.

44. emon

amazing article.Thanks

1. How to get on Google’s front page within a few hours. No joke!

2. view blog[IMG]

3. [...] is well aware of these blog ranking factors as being the most important, as his recent post about how to get on the first page of Google [...]

4. [...] as his recent post about how to get on the first page of Google [...] By coComment – …http://www.alistercameron.com/2007/04… – 63k – Cached – Similar pagesGet To The First Page Of Google: The 4 Essentials Of Ranking A [...]

5. [...] important, as his recent post about how to get on the first page of Google [...] By coComment – …http://www.alistercameron.com/2007/04… – 63k – Cached – Similar pagesGet To The First Page Of Google: The 4 Essentials Of Ranking A …29 [...]