It won’t land January 1, but I’m looking to redesign this blog. I want it to be simpler, cleaner, more… 2013-ish! Keen to know what people like about the current design, if some things should be retained. Let me know in the comments
Note: Commenter website links are not no-followed, in caseyou were wondering... I believe in rewarding commenters!
You’re the first blog I learned from along with Seth Godin Alister. Whatever new design and format you come up with, I’m sure will be cutting edge,
This is my opinion:
I actually like the color scheme of your blog and in general it is a clean, simple design. I like simple…..
The only suggestions I have are:
- I find banner ads don’t work unless the company is willing to pay you a monthly fee to place the ad on your site. They are distracting and 99 44/100% of my readers ignore them even when they are targeted ads. General ads like the ones here on your front page are ignored even more.
- Drop the third column. Add the social media buttons to the beginning or end of your articles.
- If you want email sign-ups get the form above the fold, otherwise place it on your about page.
- The page peels are cute and it makes me want to click on them…..to bad they don’t go anywhere.
- Carefully consider “modern” like elegantthemes latest designs. Yes, they are cool, but they really don’t work for a content blog. A style like you currently have is much easier to navigate around for the new reader, Your current style is easier for you to move your readers around on the page and help them focus on the important information you would like them to know.
- The new style themes appear to work well for “visual” blogs. You do a lot more writing than selling products or posting travel picts.
- I am not a designer, just a blog owner who has also been fighting the clutter himself for the last 5 years.
Looking forward to seeing your new design. Definitely keep the picture or one similar. It’s very striking.
Hey Randa! Hope you’re doing well. Thanks for dropping by
Paul, that’s really helpful and I do appreciate you taking the time. You may not be surprised to know that a number of the things you’ve pointed out are close to, or exactly what I have in mind to do/retain/modify.
The issue now is time!
But I agree that I am first a writer (when I get around to doing it), so readability is a big deal. Further, I want a responsive design, rather than a specific mobile theme, which I think is not best practice these days. I want to be minimalist about it, but retain enough of the current branding (maybe the page curls and font, say), to be recognizable.
Great food for thought, Paul. Thanks again.
That’s a special place to have, Paul (Hines)… I’m honoured to be in Godin’s company then! I really need to get my blogging back up to speed and hope to have time for that in 2013!
Yeah changing the blog architecture and making a seo friendly blog will also help in greater visibility in search Engines
Please let me know if you’re looking for a author for your blog. You have some really great articles and I believe I would be a good asset. If you ever want to take some of the load off, I’d love to write some articles for your blog in exchange for a
link back to mine. Please blast me an email if interested.
I was wondering if you ever thought of changing the layout of your
site? Its very well written; I love what youve got to say.
But maybe you could a little more in the way of content so people could connect with it
better. Youve got an awful lot of text for only having
one or two images. Maybe you could space it out better?
I like simple. I went for simple, and people say good things. The most important thing with clean blogs like this is to have a beautiful font – well I suppose that’s always important, but it’s kinda more the main attraction on a simple design.
When I initially commented I clicked the “Notify me when new comments are added” checkbox
and now each time a comment is added I get four emails with the same comment.
Is there any way you can remove me from that service? Cheers!
Iâ€™m also launching a new theme to mark the start of a new year.
Looking forward to seeing your new design. because you have talent.
Current day month ye@r *
Leave this field empty *
Notify me of followup comments via e-mail