The day Daddy came home from the war…

Inspired by Meg, I have decided to share a video with you all that I have been showing everywhere else, not least including it as a sermon illustration at church a couple weeks ago.

It is just amazing how much emotion can be packed into a simple video, sometimes, and I think there is an entire almanac written into the humble minute-and-a-bit that this one runs for.

I will gladly admit that I am sucker for anything to do with the love of children and parents. I have four great kids myself, and I am a man now that I could never have hoped to be, had I not become a Dad. The immeasurably deep love and unquestioning trust of my children has “made” me, as it were. Parents will know what I mean.

(Yes, kids can “unmake” you too… but let’s not wreck this moment!)

This video is self-explanatory and I’ll just say this: watch the boy’s face intently.

The first time I watched this I broke down. It touched something very deep inside me. And no matter what your feelings about war and the Iraq conflict in particular, I trust you will not miss the immense beauty here…

[gv data=”XomV00KBPwA”][/gv]

family, faith, father, son, love, iraq, iraq conflict, iraq war, homecoming, welcome home, reunion

Wow – that is emotive footage. Thanks for sharing it.

Wow! How powerful is that? I have tears and I’m choking as I write this. I wasn’t expecting it to hit me like it did – the second part is what did it.

You and me both, Kathie! The second part really hammers it home as you watch the boy burst into tears. Very powerful.

That is quite moving indeed. My cousin recently found out that (after breaking fingers, legs and other injuries that may effect him for the rest of this life) he is being discharged. He never even went abroad, just got his injuries in training. I hope he receives a heartfelt welcome-home experience despite not being sent abroad.

almost made me cry..

6. Rebecca Pellowe (was Lugton)

Hey There. As I said in an email to Al yesterday, I just can’t get rid of the picture of this little boy running to his dad. Wouldn’t it be great if us adults could express our emotions in such a real and honest way!?
    Love the website, Al – Keep up the great work.

What a powerful clip. It’s good to see something wonderful like this, especially since the media, as well as congress, usually don’t air something positive. Thanks for sharing.

Well…you warned me but I watched anyway. Wow…..that is powerful & moving video and certainly stirs your emotions. I have to admit I broke down as well. And to think that unfortunately, there a lots of children who may not get the opportunity to see their daddy or momma again come home from the war.
    Thanks for sharing the video. I had not seen it but will certainly let others know about it.

Well that’s the first time that’s happened to me for a while…..

wow, touching and powerful! It’s, i think, one of the most touching vids I saw on youtube ever! Kids usually let their emotions free, just like that, awesome! 🙂

Great find. I have to agree with Chris, many children will not be able to let their emotions free and they will have a hard time understanding why their mommy and daddy are not coming home.

You’re right. It feel deep inside me. Touching… very touching.

I think the only thing to say is: wow. That was truly a moving video. If you ever come across anything similar, don’t be afraid to post it here. As you can tell by the comments here, we all appreciate it.

This is a great video..kind of reminds me of a video that CNN was showing a while back…one where the father went to his son’s school.

Children really know how to show there feelings and how touching that piece of footage was. To see such love for a father and son is so amazing it brings it home how precious we all are to one another. So show your love to someone each and every day.

Jasmine xx

As a parent myself, I was moved not only by the boy’s obvious emotional response, but by the father’s unspoken, yet also deeply felt emotion — you can see it in the way he picks up his son and cradles him against his heart with such tenderness and warmth. We don’t clearly see his face, but I can almost imagine what it must have been like to be reunited with your child again after facing the reality of perhaps never seeing him. I don’t know how I could have not been sobbing in relief and joy in that moment. But then, I’m a sappy mom. 🙂 Thanks so much for sharing this.

1. [IMG External link]