Another great example of using Digg to help set a new blog on fire

51Riav4hVOL. AA240  Another great example of using Digg to help set a new blog on fireTim Ferriss is everwhere right now. He’s even got Robert Scoble and Steve Rubel fawning over him. Blogging nirvana!

Rubel’s article will put you in the picture on just how well Ferriss has marketed himself across the blogosphere. And good on him. I grabbed a pre-release copy from his publisher and read it on the plane to India a couple weeks back. It’s a great, easy read and I was quite impressed with his balance. It’s SO not a get-rich-quick book, in case you were worried. I do recommend it, if only as a challenge to your status quo.

Now, Tim is a writing some really tantalyzing posts on his blog at the moment… I’m sure they were prepared in advanced and queued up ready to go in time for the book launch, but that’s not the point. They’re juicy content.

But check this out… go look at all the submitted stories from his blog on Digg. Notice something?

Two stories have been promoted to the front page and one more is about to go there (this one). The other nine submitted stories have almost universally performed really poorly… all but one not even making it to double figures. Is this because their content sucked? Is this because they were submitted with bad titles and descriptions? “No” to all the above.

There is only one key reason those two promoted stories (almost three) were so much more successful on Digg: the submitter. The first story to get promoted was submitted by Karim Yergaliyev and the other two by Muhammad Saleem (of Pronet fame).

Both these guys are among the very top Diggers. When they submit a story hundreds (even thousands) of other Diggers see that story in one of a few highlighted ways and are then more likely to digg these stories than others. Never mind the details about how that works… the point is clear: your success on Digg starts with delectable content but the clincher is getting your post submitted by one of the top Diggers. Yes, there are exceptions to this rule, but I’m giving you the best scenario with the highest probability of success, ok!

Remember my story of a few weeks ago, about how all Kevin Rose’s submitted stories on Digg get promoted (ALL of them!)? Well, check out Muhammad’s success rate. I’ve not done the math on this precisely but it looks like about 25 to 30 per cent of all his submitted stories get promoted, on average.

Translated: if Muhammad Saleem submits your story it means a) you’ve written an impressive enough post to get the attention of a top Digger (well done!) and b) you have, say, a 25 per cent chance of a bucket-load of traffic from a promoted story on Digg!

(Karim’s stats are roughly the same: out of his last eight submitted stories, fully half of them were promoted to the front page!)

Now, you can leave it all to chance or you can think hard about how you can befriend some of the top Diggers. Muhammad Saleem, for example, is very approachable. Start by adding value in the comments of posts he writes on the Pronet blog, so he notices you. If you have good reason to do it, link back to a relevant post of your own in a comment you leave on his blog. Do what I did and send him a message or two via MyBlogLog. I didn’t send rubbish; for memory it was a suggestion to check out a post of mine that was on-topic with something he’d written somewhere.

The point is, get committed and creative and you’ll get noticed… in a good way! Just don’t hassle, for goodness sake icon wink Another great example of using Digg to help set a new blog on fire

alister cameron, digg, marketing, muhammad saleem, pronet, front page, blog marketing, tim ferriss, timothy ferriss, four hour work week

Hello Alister! Good to see you back blogging again!
    Great advice in your post. And…I’ve got to check out the “4-Hour Workweek”. I’m hearing a lot about it and the title has a nice ring to it! :)

Welcome back! I trust you had a pleasant break?

You’re bang on with the Digg submission theory. I noticed quite a while ago how prevalent the ‘Kevin Rose Effect’ was, but this is bound to happen when there is just so very much dugg content to wade through!

Great to see you back Alister! Tell us about your trip!
    I’ve been following Tim Ferriss’ blog since I read Darren’s interview with him on ProBlogger. He definitely seems to be doing everything right, and is someone to learn from.

That kind of success rate on Digg just blows my mind. Those guys really are playing on a totally different field.

Hi Alister, good to have you back!

Quick question . . . hope you can help!

I’m working hard to post every day at my blog, http://www.romancetracker.com, and am pleased to see that my Google search hits are growing every day.

Unfortunately, I have discovered a site that takes every post I write, every day, and reproduces it exactly, word for word! They have even stolen the categories I put the posts under! That site is http://www.101lovetips.com.

What should I do? The site that is stealing from me has no contact information on it at all. I hate to think that their thievery is affecting my Google ranking, and besides, I don’t want them re-publishing my original writing!

Thanks . . .

I think your ending statement is true to any success online. All it takes is being creative in ones approach and a commitment to succeed. Time also helps :)

Take care,
    Gino

First time here and I like it :) I had been playing around with Digg some in the past and did get one story to the Front but other than that, nothing else. You provided some very useful information that others can use and that is why I will return. Cheers and keep up the good work.

Personally I prefer redditt traffic – digg gives a very short spike, reddit gives a slower, gentler curve.
    “Romantic Ideas” – report them to adsense – at least get them banned form that, and always include a link to your site in the post.
    The guy running it is in Singapore (http://whois.domaintools.com/101lovetips.com) also seems to be his own ISP for hosting (bignexus dot com) so sending a C&D probably wont do much.
    He is also leeching your bandwidth by using your images, you can disable this.

Hi Alister,

Thanks for the kind words. You know I was having the same conversation with Wendy (emomsathome.com) the other day. I don’t mind submitting content for anyone and I never ask for favors, money, or anything of that nature. The only thing I say is that if you want me to submit something for you, feel free to ping me, but please please please make sure that the content is Digg-worthy because I hate saying no.

Apart from that, if it helps you get traffic or reach whatever other goals anyone as a content producer has, I am more than happy to oblige.

muhammadsaleem.com

10. Infinity
    Posted 7 years, 1 month ago // Permalink

You “bloggers” are such lolcows.

nice blog (checking through all the nofollow blog community).

Hi Alister,

Just came across your site and noticed this blog. Don’t know anything about Digg, but going to find out…

New to the blogosphere, my posts are about encouraging men to go spa-ing. Love any comments you’d care to throw my way.

Regards,
    Andrew

Nice article
    patience is virtue is true in case of digg

a new digg popular user: http://digg.com/users/erichh

Hey Alister…
    Really interesting points made, I find lots of the good guy’s are actually good guy’s. go about it nicely and you’ll get lots of help…

best wishes…

Hello Alister! Good to see you back blogging again!

Thanks for the advice on getting in touch with Saleem

You made some great points here, but I feel that some bloggers are taking advantage of Digg and that is why it had changed to no follow. However, it is a great platform to submit posts from your blog. I think that content matters and so does a catchy title that will want people to click it.

I’ve used similar tactics with Digg to help get traffic.One variation I’ve used it submitting it to Digg then linking to it on other social media sites so that my post gets the credibility of a Digg article compared to appearing on my own website.

1. own in a comment you leave on his blog. Do what I did and send him a message or two via MyBlogLog. I didn’t send rubbish; for memory it was a suggestion to check out a post of mine that was on-topic with something he’d written somewhere. check out the entire post. in fact, he got it absolutely right. here’s what i said to him on his blog, Hi Alister, Thanks for the kind words. You know I was having the same conversation with Wendy (emomsathome.com) the other day. I don’t mind submitting content for

2. Alister Cameron // Blogologist WordPress comment spam: my simple way to stop (most of) it before it happens – comments 1 bumps – bump this – 3 months, 1 week ago on Alister Cameron // Blogologist Another great example of using Digg to help set a new blog on fire – comments 1 bumps – bump this – 1 month, 3 weeks ago on Alister Cameron // Blogologist I’m on TV tonight! – comments 1 bumps – bump this – 1 month, 3 weeks ago on Alister Cameron // Blogologist

3. view blog

4. [...] fact, let me point out a comment i made on alister’s blog many months ago, hi [...]